Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Nether Earth
 Brain Games Forums : Nether Earth
Subject Topic: How about version 0.53 ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
patsie

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 20:27 | IP Logged Quote patsie

Would md3d be so kind to slim-down those large 3D objects to something smaller? I think you've done a terrific job with the modeling, but a lot of objects are way more detailed than you can possibly see and eat up a lot of space.
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 07 September 2009 at 04:54 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon wrote:

I still do not like them. The contrast looks so weird!!! Also the explosions do not have the same perspective as the rest... it looks like a "cheap patch" to me... I would not add those prerendered explosions... what do you guys think?

We can see how it looks in the game?

Popolon wrote:

About the size it's due to the new 3d models, which are quite big. Maybe we should runt hose models through an "optimize triangles" in 3DS or Blender...

I would not do that. Can get very ugly.

@patsie
I do not know why they turned out so big (construction2.ASE construction3.ASE) But why is this a problem? The archives are well reduced. I'll see what can be done with this.

About font
You can make it thicker ? Like original game.

Edited by md3d on 07 September 2009 at 05:14
Back to Top View md3d's Profile Search for other posts by md3d Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 September 2009 at 13:05 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Sure, I can still try the explosions in the game to see how the whole thing looks. But I'm a bit sceptical

About the font, yeah we should make it thicker. I think the solution is what Jorito was suggesting, going to TTF fonts.
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

patsie

Posted: 07 September 2009 at 20:03 | IP Logged Quote patsie

md3d wrote:

Popolon wrote:

About the size it's due to the new 3d models, which are quite big. Maybe we should runt hose models through an "optimize triangles" in 3DS or Blender...

I would not do that. Can get very ugly.

@patsie
I do not know why they turned out so big (construction2.ASE construction3.ASE) But why is this a problem? The archives are well reduced. I'll see what can be done with this.

Well, for one thing most of the new .ase files are more detailed than the resolution can display (@1024x768). That's called overkill Especially the construction2 and 3 files have very many polygons.
And second, we host our own websites and files. Bigger means more bandwidth. So every byte we can reasonably spare would be welcome.
And last, we don't want our players to have beefy systems which have to display thousands and thousands of polygons per second, but should run on hardware even a couple of years old if possible.

I guess it's having a good balance of having the smoothest of graphics, acceptable filesize and ability to play on most hardware.

Edited by patsie on 07 September 2009 at 20:09
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 04:34 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Loock at new Mountins :

Edited by md3d on 08 September 2009 at 09:29
Back to Top View md3d's Profile Search for other posts by md3d Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 04:37 | IP Logged Quote md3d

patsie wrote:

I guess it's having a good balance of having the smoothest of graphics, acceptable filesize and ability to play on most hardware.

I understand. But today is 2009 year.
Take please the icon for *.exe file.
http://depositfiles.com/files/231ijaca9

Popolon wrote:
Sure, I can still try the explosions in the game to see how the whole thing looks. But I'm a bit sceptical

Waiting for results.

Guys ! Who can upload any way "alpha version" of the game for Windows (fith new explosion). I have all details looking. Explosion should look very cool, but not cheap. I have an idea. Maybe I can correct it.

I and my friend, maybe soon we will start writing the sequel of the Nether Earth on other graphic engine. See sketch of robot:

What do you think about it ?

Edited by md3d on 09 September 2009 at 04:32

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 10:14 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Well, I agree with patsie on the file size issue. The fact that we are in 2009 is no justification at all IF a file is too big just for the sake of being big, that is not justifiable... 5.3MB for just one model is way too much. Specially if the model is just a banner that says "CONSTRUCTION" which is displayed in a small size on the top left corner of the screen...

But anyway, we'll figure that out!

About the new mountains, the look nice! And the robot preview of your sequel to Nether Earth looks _AWESOME_! keep us posted on your advances! I myself have planned a follow up to Nether Earth for a long time. But I have my own plans for that... if I gather time, maybe I'll surprise you some day

Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 10:24 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon
I squeezed these models "CONSTRUCTION" to 1.9MB. (less fails)

Edited by md3d on 08 September 2009 at 10:26

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 19:20 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Cool! That's a good improvement. If you can give me a link to download them, that'd be great!

md3d

Posted: 09 September 2009 at 04:16 | IP Logged Quote md3d

@Popolon

I'm waiting the new result (alpha version) of the game (fith new explosion) that would see all the detail and if necessary, make changes (correct)in some models. After that I upload final pack of models, sounds and textures.

Can you upload new result of game on the uploader (for example www.depositfiles.com) It is free service.

By the way take please CONSTRUCTIONS...
http://depositfiles.com/files/lsmdfohsn

Edited by md3d on 09 September 2009 at 07:37

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 September 2009 at 10:32 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, the problem is that I do not have my windows machine back, so I cannot compile for windows. I can only generate Mac versions for now... if anyone can generate a windows binary please let me know. Otherwise, we'll have to wait at least another week or so...

md3d

Posted: 09 September 2009 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon wrote:
I can only generate Mac versions for now...

Popolon wrote:

Otherwise, we'll have to wait at least another week or so...

ok. Waiting....

Edited by md3d on 09 September 2009 at 11:17

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 September 2009 at 02:24 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

btw, just got back my PC today! I'm now installing windows, etc. hopefully I can compile it in a couple of days

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 September 2009 at 20:16 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

@md3d: nice robot!

@Popolon: any progress yet on the windows build?

I just managed to get an MP3 from the game song (okay, from a C64 SID file, but at least the notes are there). If I can find the time, I might be able to cook up a piece of music this week.

The game itself should probably feature 2 songs, one for the intro and one for the game. I'll see what I can do...
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 22:11 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Not very well, I'm having some issues linking GLUT in DevCpp which is preventing me from compiling... although I have some clues on how to fix it (apparently there is some incompatibility between the old version of binutils shipped with DEVCPP and glut...)

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 September 2009 at 22:51 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, I managed to solve the issue. Now the funny thing is that I just experienced a bug (which was reported by someone before), which is that if no sound card is present, the game would not run

Since I still haven't installed all my drivers in my laptop, I have no sound

I'm now changing the game, so that if there is no soundcard it will simply disable sound...

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, md3d I compiled a version for windows. You can get it from here. Let me know once you have it, to delete it from the server...

here

md3d

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 07:43 | IP Logged Quote md3d

@Popolon

Thanks.

1) Why the control buttons in the game - the mirror reflected? Please check back as it was in vesrion 0.52 for Windows.
2)I do not see new explosions...
3) I do not see new font.....

And please add one more resolution 1280ő1024 in game menu.

P.S. And now all models have extention *.ase.

Edited by md3d on 23 September 2009 at 08:05

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

1) I haven't changed anything about the controls. Are you sure?
2) Yeah, haven't added them yet.
3) Again, I haven't added it yet.

This version was out just so that you could see the tracks animation.

md3d

Posted: 23 September 2009 at 11:30 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon wrote:
1) I haven't changed anything about the controls. Are you sure?

Yeeep ! Please see how it controls in this version :
http://www.braingames.getput.com/nether/netherearth052.zip

About tracks animation I have 2 methods.
1) First method now used in game (it looks breaks)
2) Second method (correct animation)is looks more smooth, but too slowly. Please test it :
http://depositfiles.com/files/xrsmu1xkk
May be increase the number of frames per second (in source code), i think it would look smooth and fast(not breaks).
And tell me your opinion.

Edited by md3d on 23 September 2009 at 11:45

Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version