Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Nether Earth
 Brain Games Forums : Nether Earth
Subject Topic: How about version 0.53 ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 23:47 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Popolon wrote:
Can't listen to the youtube videos right now (in a conference room), but I uploaded a Mac binary of Nether Earth here:

http://www.iiia.csic.es/~santi/nether.zip

Since this download is only 700kb, I'm guessing I still need the data files. If so, you might want to look into adding the data files to the Xcode project so they get bundled inside the app. Works great and is really easy to do.

Popolon wrote:
Also, btw Jorito, not sure how do you usually resolve this problem. Usually in our games, I include the SDL headers as "SDL/SDL.h" and the OpenGL ones as "GL/GL.h", however, in Mac those "SDL" and "GL" folders do not exist in the frameworks. Do you actually get the linux-like packages through fink to have the same folder structure as in Lnux or windows? or do you have any other trick?

To compile nether earth I just removed those "SDL" and "GL" prefixes to the includes, bt maybe there is a better solution...

You can leave those path references in the code, it's just a matter of adding the proper header search paths to the project.

Check this:

I stopped using Fink (don't even have it installed anymore), since you can do all of this just fine by installing the SDL frameworks and X11 from the CD.

To change the header paths, just go to the 'target' block on the left side of the Xcode window, select your build target (I'm guessing it's called 'nether'), and press CMD+I. You can then do a search for the options you need to change (the list of options you can change is quite big, the search function helps a lot).

If you're stuck with this, just give me a yell.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

patsie

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 17:21 | IP Logged Quote patsie

Also, the executable is missing the SDL_mixer framework.

$>./nether.app/Contents/MacOS/nether
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_mixer.framework/Versions/A/SDL_mixer
Referenced from: /Users/patsie/Desktop/./nether.app/Contents/MacOS/nether

$>ls -l ./nether.app/Contents/Frameworks/
drwxr-xr-x 6 patsie admin 204 Aug 30 17:12 SDL.framework
$>
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 23:39 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

I didn't get that problem, but of course I have installed those frameworks to compile the OSX versions of our remakes.

Santi, need some help into making it a proper OSX bundle?
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 04:58 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon

Take please e-tracks.
http://depositfiles.com/files/i1cxeo1d8

Popolon you use all three cycles of animation ?
e-tracks_motion1.ASE
e-tracks_motion2.ASE
e-tracks_motion3.ASE

I think that animation can be interrupted (not uniformly). Because files:
e-tracks_motion1.ASE
e-tracks_motion3.ASE
-very similar.

In any case, the file e-tracks_motion3.ASE must be used in the game. Once I see it live (how it looks in the game now) I'll do this animation more smoother.

About explosion:
What confuses you? Toy robots + fotorealistic explosion - will be very cool ! (Pixar Studios Style)
I plan make a separate nuclear explosion (for nuclear bombs)..

Jorito
I liked this version :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXxxDLsdLY

guys! remix on main theme of game already exists from Russian guy (TD Black Sun)
Listen:
http://files.realmusic.ru/download/387823/nether_erf_387823.mp3
If you like it I'll try to contact them (to add this music in game menu)

Edited by md3d on 31 August 2009 at 11:38
Back to Top View md3d's Profile Search for other posts by md3d Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 19:13 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Hmm, that remix doesn't really suit the game IMHO, it's more like a party mix [:D)].

Then again, I just listened to the original music. and that also has these party mix sound. I think that it doesn't fit. However, there are some elements in the original song that could be used. I would slow down the song quite a bit tho, and make it more bombastic, with drum rolls, chanting choirs and some orchestral work.

That title song is the only song in the game?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 23:12 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, give me a couple of days for that Mac OS bundle, I'm flying tomorrow back home from Belfast and will not have internet. I will also check the new tracks pieces and the music.

And yeah, the title music is the only music in the original nether earth
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 11:31 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Nuclear explosion is ready. It looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhtKotfN3g0

Edited by md3d on 03 September 2009 at 11:36
Back to Top View md3d's Profile Search for other posts by md3d Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 September 2009 at 11:41 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

@Jorito @patsie

Ok, I'm back. Yeah it'd be great to add the datafiles/frameworks to the bundle. How do I do that? (a quick google did not provide me with the right info, so I thought you guys can tell me faster )

@md3d

Great, thanks for the red-tracks-animation!!! I already included it in my version. (Now I'm wary of committing to the SVN, since I changed the header paths... but I'll fix that)

About the explosions and nuclear explosions. I still do not like them. The contrast looks so weird!!! Also the explosions do not have the same perspective as the rest... it looks like a "cheap patch" to me... I would not add those prerendered explosions... what do you guys think?
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 September 2009 at 13:39 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Popolon, it's actually very easy, you just have to drag the resources and the frameworks to the build target in Xcode (it's the icon with the red/white dartboard thingie).

Check http://trac.jorito.net/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/SDLToOSX for some more info, I just added some screenshots to illustrate things a bit better.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 12:11 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Awesome! your notes were very easy to follow. I've created a Mac version which can be downloaded from here:

netherv054.dmg

There is only one issue now (as Jorito points out in his notes), and it is that the application name is hardcoded into the "SDLMain.m" file, so if you rename the application bundle from "nether" to soemthing else, the application cannot find the resources... but I'll try to figure out a way to solve that...

I will build a windows binary as soon as I get my PC back from the repair shop...

Also I will be committing to the SVN as soon as I finish this post

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 12:31 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Popolon wrote:
There is only one issue now (as Jorito points out in his notes), and it is that the application name is hardcoded into the "SDLMain.m" file, so if you rename the application bundle from "nether" to soemthing else, the application cannot find the resources... but I'll try to figure out a way to solve that...

If you figure that out (shouldn't be too hard), could you post it here? Or better, change the text on the wiki?
It'd be nice to have that information changed, since I use it for all the OSX binaries I create

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 12:39 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

ops, there was a missing file in the bundle I uploaded. I just updated it... (there was a missing frame in the tracks animation)

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 12:45 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

The game runs fine here (OSX Snow Leopard), so thanks for that. Still have to read the manual a bit to see what I should do tho .

Some things struck me:

• A total absence of sound effects
  • No sound/music
  • Ugly font

I think I will dig into my sample library and find some sound effects for most events. It would help if somebody that knows the game could give me a list of events that need sound effects!

As for the font: I think it's quite ugly. How hard is it to replace it with a TTF font? Maybe something like http://www.dafont.com/gunplay.font?psize=s&text=Nether+Earth but another TTF would do nicely as well

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 13:00 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, I figured it out, now you can rename the bundle and there is no problem. I just updated your wiki Jorito.

It was a pretty easy change .

Also I updated the SVN (I didn't update the disk image I uploaded earlier though, I'll do it once there are more changes)

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 13:05 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

There are some sound effects. In the robot creation screen (land your ship onto the big "H") when you select/unselect pieces and when you create the robot there are sounds. Also when robots fire and destroy each other there are sounds. But that's about it.

About the font, I agree. It's really ugle! it's actually the default OpenGL font. This was my first ever program using OpenGL so I was just experimenting . But I think I can replace those ugly fonts by nice TTFs easily...

Jorito, just some quick tips about how to play:
- The goal of the game is to capture all the "warbases" (the buildings with the big "H" on top)
- to do it, create robots. To create a robot just land in an "H" and compose it by adding pieces
- you can land onto a robot to give orders to it (capture bases, factories, kill other robots, etc)
- you can also control a robot by hand if you want

basically that's it :)

patsie

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 13:39 | IP Logged Quote patsie

It works perfectly on my intel/10.6 and PPC/10.4 boxes as well. Nice job Popolon!
Ofcourse I have some remarks
First, the package has gotten huge in comparison to the last one. (my last ubuntu .deb's were less than 600KB and this .dmg is 6MB and unpacked it's a whopping 27MB!)
Second, the app info says: "nether version 0.1, Copyright 2009 __MyCompanyName__"
Last, the main menu logo is a nice yellow, until I switch windowed/fullscreen or change the screen resolution. Then all of a sudden it's white?!
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 14:02 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Well, it's mostly thanks to Jorito's notes on how to create bundles

About the size it's due to the new 3d models, which are quite big. Maybe we should runt hose models through an "optimize triangles" in 3DS or Blender...

About the app info, I'll fix that... also we need an icon for the game now!

And finally, about the color of the title I noticed that too! Couldn't figure it out at first sight, and left it for later. But I'll look into it. I think that the only issue is that there is no color specified for the title and it just renders in the last used color or something like that

patsie

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 14:15 | IP Logged Quote patsie

yeah, I noticed 2 models gobbling up 9MB (construction2.ase and construction3.ase) If we can somehow reduce those 2, that would help a lot. Also the 3 new sound effects (shot_cannon, shot_missle and shot_phaser) are 44KHz stereo, in comparison to the other 11KHz mono samples. I reduced them to 16KHz mono (not much sound quality loss) and saved another 1MB. I'll upload them in SVN soon.

Right now I'm busy updating my Ubuntu VM's so I can go build new packages soon.

[edit]
@Popolon
I don't know if you like it, but there's an icon in the build/linux/ directory called nether.png
[/edit]

Edited by patsie on 06 September 2009 at 14:57

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

wow! didn't notice those 2 models! In fact they are just text. Since they are the small logo on the top-left of the robot construction screen. It's totally not justified to have such huge models for that. I'll see what can I do to reduce them...

about the icon, cool! I had not seen it!

And well done with the SFX!

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2009 at 16:59 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Btw, not sure if anyone will be interested on this but I just found this importer/exporter for Blender ( http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tools_utilities.htm#ase ) which can be used to edit the 3D models of Nether Earth using blender.

This is good, since I used to use 3DS max back then, but 3DS is not free so... Also, this means we could use the ASE format for any 3d files we need in Knightmare (in this way I do not need to write any other 3d file importer from scratch... )

Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version