Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Nether Earth
 Brain Games Forums : Nether Earth
Subject Topic: How about version 0.53 ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
md3d

Posted: 20 August 2009 at 12:09 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Thanks for the remake !
I modeled (and add detail) for the robots (and environment) similar to original game. Now most of the models has extension *.ese (textured). See the screens :

I propose in next version (0.53) :
1)add different sounds for cannon, phasers and missiles. I write sounds, somebody will be able to add code for sounds in sourse code and compilling the game ?
2)Add the icons for *.exe file.
3)Add resolution 1280ő1024
4)And the same difficult, add the good-looking explosion (animation of sprites) like screens:

Who make program code ? I have beautiful sample of explosion (*.avi). I can set it to do in *.tga or jpg (25-30 frames sprites)
Sorry for my bad english.

Edited by md3d on 20 August 2009 at 12:56
Back to Top View md3d's Profile Search for other posts by md3d Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2009 at 21:51 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

I don't know much about either the original game or the remake, but the graphics look cool! I thin Popolon (forum user, and the coder of these remakes) will like them a lot.

If he doesn't read this, I will send him a message to read this post .

About sounds: I could add those to the code and compile it, if Popolon doesn't have time for it.

The explosion wouldn't work in .avi, but in a bunch of JPEGs (or better: PNG) it should be doable to implement them.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 00:02 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Hi md3d!

Those are cool graphics! I'm in a weird situation right now since my computer is broken and I am borrowing my dad's computer, so I cannot code for now...

But please send me an email with that explosion and the graphics, and as soon as I have my computer I could try to find some time to code that in. The explosion would be better as a sequence if PNGs! You can find my email in my work website (here)
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 05:51 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon
Jorito

Thanks guys ! Let's do it!
Popolon , unfortunately I did not find your e-mail on your page.
I've put files on the depositfiles.com

Explosion (in PNG):
http://depositfiles.com/files/yj2akmk3g

Game:
http://depositfiles.com/files/r6ubeifb2
This is not the final result of the game. I still experiment with models and buildings. But in the final version everything will be OK.

And in folder /sound you find 3 new samples for each type of guns:
shot_cannon.wav
shot_missiles.wav
shot_phasers.wav

In the source code it must be corrected. After that, the sound shot.wav can be deleted.

What models now are not used in the game :
bullet1.asc
bullet2.asc
bullet3.asc
construction.asc (I think never used in game)
construction1.asc
construction2.asc
construction3.asc
h-electronics.asc
ship.asc
tittle.asc

These models now have the extension *.ase
In the source code it must be corrected.

About the explosion:

I rendered it on a black background (in the game black background should be transparent). But I can render the explosion on any other background (blue, green, etc.)

And the last:
Control tower is now yellow. On the map tower must also be a yellow pixel. (currently gray)

That is all)))))

Edited by md3d on 26 August 2009 at 06:21
Back to Top View md3d's Profile Search for other posts by md3d Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

patsie

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 22:55 | IP Logged Quote patsie

hi md3d,

Over a year ago I took Popolons old source, removed some bugs, patched some linux features and made it to a v0.53 and uploaded it into the Brain Games SVN repository.
Unfortunately I don't think these changes ever made it to Popolons (quite outdated, sorry) webpage.

If you made any changes in the source, could you please test them against the v0.53 found here
Thanks in advance.
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 23:22 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

That would be helpful. I just pulled out the latest version from the SVN, and downloaded the files by md3d... I'll let you know of any progress
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 05:33 | IP Logged Quote md3d

patsie

Oh my......
I have a win32 version. I took it here:
http://www.braingames.getput.com/nether/default.asp

I just used Winhex editor. Opened nether.exe file and change the extension of some models from *. asc to *. ase. I wrote about this above. In the source code it must be corrected. And rewrite the folders:
/texures
/sound
/models
from the links of game I gave above. Then, should work in any version. (I think)

A new type of explosion and the different sounds of shots - this is still my big fantasy. There needs programmer to add these features in the source code.

Edited by md3d on 26 August 2009 at 06:53

patsie

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 17:02 | IP Logged Quote patsie

md3d, don't worry As I understand, Popolon will see if he can patch everything.
[edit]
And when he's done I'll see if I can generate some new Ubuntu packages
[/edit]

Edited by patsie on 26 August 2009 at 17:03
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

md3d

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 04:55 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Ok. Waiting news from Popolon.

Edited by md3d on 27 August 2009 at 04:56

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 08:08 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I was able to compile it and add the new graphics. The are very cool!!!! I will try to add the explosions soon.

Just one issue:
- When you create a robot with tracks, since the graphics are better now, one would expect the tracks to "roll", but they stay static, and it looks really really weird... is it possible to create 2-3 alternate "tracks" models to keep cycling over them in an animation when the tracks advance?

md3d

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 09:01 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon

Ok. I'll do it right now.

md3d

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 09:09 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Popolon

Ok. I'll do it right now.
But this way we create a hard for CPU ?
In the "tracks" a lot of polygons. On the result is an 2-3 alternative models will be interchangeable, when the tracks will move?

I racked my brains : to make the buildings of impressive appearance in the "3D window" or leave the "texture window" ? The game starts to slow down (when many objects). In version 5.2 did not have one.

Edited by md3d on 27 August 2009 at 09:09

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 18:38 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Popolon wrote:
That would be helpful. I just pulled out the latest version from the SVN, and downloaded the files by md3d... I'll let you know of any progress

Care to publish an OSX binary somewhere so I can give it a shot? I never played the original game, but it sounds interesting.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 18:42 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Oh... (not sure if there's music already), but shouldn't it have some background music? Some ambient/militaristic sounding music would probably suit the game .

If there's no bg music yet, feed me some ideas and I will see what I can do.

md3d

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 04:45 | IP Logged Quote md3d

Jorito

You can play the original game (and listen to music in the intro) here:
http://myspeccy.com/en/games/nether-earth

Press on "Run game on JAVA emulator" (like screen)

I try to do a remake of the original music for the game (in the Intro). I want to do it in the style Industrial (like "Nine Inch Nails" or "The Prodigy") but I need a lot of time on this. Jorito-you try too (your version) like this (it was cool)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAkUyDbTtLo

I read about music here: 
http://www.braingames.getput.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=524&PN=1
but it did not moving....

Popolon
Take 3 alternate "tracks" (for animation)
http://depositfiles.com/files/sxmpa1uoj

Edited by md3d on 28 August 2009 at 09:58

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 13:02 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Great!!! I incorporated the tracks animation and it looks much better! Can you add the animation for the enemy? (i.e. the "e-" files)

About the music, the game had some music in spectrum, but personally didn't like it too much It'd be great to have a loop in the background!

I still have a small issue with the mac version (it runs in debug mode, but for some weird reason, in release mode it does not find some files... weird...). As soon as I figure it out, I will upload a mac binary so that you can try it Jorito. I will also update the SVN as soon as I figure what's wrong...

patsie

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 16:59 | IP Logged Quote patsie

I'd like to test the OSX binary as well. I have both a 'clean' 10.4 PPC and a 10.5 Intel machine. (to test for UB compatibility)

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 18:18 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

I was thinking about music in the lines of the first Command & Conquer.

Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJaz2XU2gvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEa3P7lSJg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXxxDLsdLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM7y_LFLZn4

Of course I will know if this type of music will fit as soon as I get my hands on a Mac binary

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 16:56 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Can't listen to the youtube videos right now (in a conference room), but I uploaded a Mac binary of Nether Earth here:

http://www.iiia.csic.es/~santi/nether.zip

I still need the animation of the tracks for the enemy (the red version). And I still have to think about the explosion. Not sure how well the bitmap explosion will work with the current graphics... since it is fotorealistic whereas the rest of graphics are not... so, not sure what to do about that...

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Also, btw Jorito, not sure how do you usually resolve this problem. Usually in our games, I include the SDL headers as "SDL/SDL.h" and the OpenGL ones as "GL/GL.h", however, in Mac those "SDL" and "GL" folders do not exist in the frameworks. Do you actually get the linux-like packages through fink to have the same folder structure as in Lnux or windows? or do you have any other trick?

To compile nether earth I just removed those "SDL" and "GL" prefixes to the includes, bt maybe there is a better solution...

Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version