Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Talk
 Brain Games Forums : General Talk
Subject Topic: Kings Valley 2 with MoG engine??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AcesHigh

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 21:25 | IP Logged Quote AcesHigh

wow, I got away from the forum for a while and its steaming hot!! :)

Ive never played USAS, only in the emulator, and only the beginning.

Didnt think much of it though.

I dont think there is any REALLY decent Kings Valley 2 remake... there is one where the main caracther is using a f**king red leather jacket and jeans... why the hell would he be inside a pyramid? Haha

Besides, no remake uses the original songs, and most of them dont even try to reproduce the original graphics (but better)... and some of them change the graphics layouts...
Back to Top View AcesHigh's Profile Search for other posts by AcesHigh Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

AcesHigh

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 21:31 | IP Logged Quote AcesHigh

returning to the USAS issue... I think KV2 is more well known... also, isnt USAS more complex? (more enemies, more random events, etc)??

thats why I meant a KV2 remake. You have very few different stuff to code. After that, its just a question of editing the levels.

has anyone played the game BRAID??? Marvellous 2D artwork... and a caracther similar in style (big head) to what we could have in a Kings Valley 2 remake (of course, different clothes and face)

youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtSKkyJgFM

old screenshot... look how lame the caracthers looked compared to the final game

Edited by AcesHigh on 13 August 2009 at 21:36
Back to Top View AcesHigh's Profile Search for other posts by AcesHigh Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 22:49 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

USAS would be great. Never actually played it since I did not have an MSX 2, but I read a lot about it in my old MSX magazines back then.

But I'd go for the easiest one first. I would even say KV1, but KV2 seems reasonable.

About BRAID, never heard of it. But it looks interesting. I'd be curious to see how those time dynamics (rewind time, etc.) would work on a game

About the MoG2 enditor, I just downloaded DepCPP, and I'll play around with it later. Let's see if I can get it to work again!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 02:13 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Btw, I was trying to compile the editor today, and I just remembered that the version in the SVN was not in a compilable state (I was transitioning to TTF fonts at that time). So, I kind of managed to make it compile till the point of only getting linker errors (I[m still figuring out DEVCPP ). But I think I can get that thing to work in a couple of days!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

AcesHigh

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 07:32 | IP Logged Quote AcesHigh

hey Popolon, do you know if its possible to load KV2 maps on its own editor?

I mean, while its possible to copy the maps, how can I know the starting location of monsters in multi-screen maps?

Unlike MOG, monsters in Kings Valley do "work" offscreen (in MOG they always respawn when you enter the screen again), and their starting location is crucial to the map puzzles.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 12:48 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, I managed to compile it using DEVCPP. Jorito you might want to give it a try in Mac.

It runs, but it has some issues with transparencies, and I saw a couple of exceptions. So, it will need a big of work to make it stable again. But the good news is that it still works

About your KV2 question AcesHigh, I have no idea. Again I never had an MSX2, so I never played KV2 in back then. I only played KV1 (a lot of it ).

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

AcesHigh wrote:
I mean, while its possible to copy the maps, how can I know the starting location of monsters in multi-screen maps?

Unlike MOG, monsters in Kings Valley do "work" offscreen (in MOG they always respawn when you enter the screen again), and their starting location is crucial to the map puzzles.

My original King's Valley 2 for MSX2 came with some paper maps (consisting of printscreens of the original game) with all levels on them. A quick scan showed that also the monsters are present. I'm not sure if they all have the correct starting positions, but it might be a nice way to start with the maps.

And probably [DK] can be motivated to test (and possibly create) KV2 maps, since he's one of the most fanatic people about KV2 that I know.

Of course, to be certain about the starting procedures, you would probably have dump them from the ROM directly. Or hook into an emulator and dump the maps from there. For the first, you could try asking BiFi, for the second you could ask Vampier (present on these forums) for some fancy TCL script that hooks into OpenMSX.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Popolon wrote:
Ok, I managed to compile it using DEVCPP. Jorito you might want to give it a try in Mac.

It runs, but it has some issues with transparencies, and I saw a couple of exceptions. So, it will need a big of work to make it stable again. But the good news is that it still works

Any ideas on how much work it will be? Because we still have that unfinished Knightmare remake that's begging for some attention as well
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 20:27 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Just tried to compile mog2 on Xcode. The result: 177 errors to fix!

First of all, it's complaining about SDL_rotozoom.h. Popolon, is this part of SDL_gfx or another library? Where can I find it?

Then, I noticed that mog2 uses both SDL_sound and SDL_mixer. It seems overkill to use both, I think we can stick with SDL_mixer.

Last but not least there's apparently an incorrect usage of List.h. That's maybe just a setting on my end, but that needs some more work. Here's an excerpt:

/Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/standalonegame-sources/main.cpp:337: error: 'l' was not declared in this scope
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/standalonegame-sources/main.cpp:14:27: error: SDL/SDL_mixer.h: No such file or directory
                           from /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/standalonegame-sources/main.cpp:17:
               In file included from /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0/backward/List.h:59,
                    /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <iostream> instead of the deprecated header <iostream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:66: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:66: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:94: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:94: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:95: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:95: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:145: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:145: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:146: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:146: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:227: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:227: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:228: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:228: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:229: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:229: error: expected ';' before '<' token
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:230: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'List' with no type
          /Users/jorrith/Development/mog2/build/osx/mog2/../../../sources/common-sources/mog2.h:230: error: expected ';' before '<' token

Oh, and there's also some warnings about unused variables, errors on missing functions/includes and the like. I can clean up those as soon as the other stuff works.

AcesHigh

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 21:09 | IP Logged Quote AcesHigh

Popolon wrote:
Again I never had an MSX2, so I never played KV2 in back then. I only played KV1 (a lot of it ).

I also never had an MSX2 (they were never sold in Brazil, you had to import, something difficult in the 80s because of the market reserve for computers produced INSIDE the country)

BUT... Kings Valley 2 HAD an MSX1 version!!!

Edited by AcesHigh on 14 August 2009 at 21:14

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 August 2009 at 22:42 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

About the compilation errors:

- All the occurrences of "Lisp.h" should be changed to "BList.h". I thought I changed all of them, but may be I forgot some. Althought I doubt, since it wouldn't have compiled. Did you update from the SVN?

- rotozoom is in SDL_rotozoom

- About SDL_sound or SDL_mixer. I agree, and I thought the same. SDL_sound is a pain to compile (I spend most of my time on that). You worked on that part for MoG but I can't remember how did it end up. Were you successful? if you were, then ok, let's cut SDL_sound. At the time I coded both MoG and MoG2, SDL_mixer had only support for WAV files, so SDL_sound was needed.

About KV2, I had no idea there was an MSX1 version!!!!!!!! damn!

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 August 2009 at 13:26 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Okay, we're back to 52 errors now, with 2 simple fixes in standalonegame-sources/main.cpp. I've updated SVN with this new version.

Next stop is compiling an OSX framework for SDL_gfx (SDL_rotozoom is deprecated and now part of SDL_gfx), that should solve most of the other errors.

And SDL_sound should be ditched. I tried that with the MoG remake, and basically that worked fine with SDL_mixer. The only problem was that the MoG remake uses a weird music API (you can pass max. 3 songs that will be played after each other in sequence and it loops songs by itself in stead of depending on SDL_mixer's loop functions). I didn't feel like rewriting most of this, so in the end MoG still uses SDL_sound.

I knew about KV2-MSX1. In fact, I have both games on my desk right now

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 August 2009 at 13:30 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I see!!! do not compile the "standalone" folder. The editor uses "editor" + "common" and then to run games outside of the editor you need "common" + "standalone". I didn't even touch the standalone folder for now

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 August 2009 at 13:33 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

And about the rotozoom. I don't know if it's worth it trying to compile it for Mac. I plan to ditch all of that code anyway. The first thing I wanted to do was to update the MoG2 engine with the latest graphic code of F1Spirit/Goonies/Knightmare to use OpenGL, so we won't need that rotozoon anyway.

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 August 2009 at 18:22 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

If you're going to migrate code from previous projects anyway, it will probably be worthwhile to add the Goonies sound engine as well. Conveniently that will also remove the dependency on SDL_sound

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 August 2009 at 10:34 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, sounds like a good idea. But anyway, yesterday I dropped my laptop and I'm now without a computer... damn!

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 August 2009 at 22:35 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Ow, bummer! Can it be salvaged? Or do you have to buy a new one? Hope the harddisk is still okay...

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 August 2009 at 22:55 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

hard drive is half gone. I could save some data thanks to a small data-recovery kid for laptop hard drives that they had in the lab. But half of the surface is damaged.

It's still under warranty, so they will fix it. But it'll take some days...

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 August 2009 at 23:22 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Still, that doesn't sound as bad as I feared. Anyways, good luck with it.
Meanwhile I will try to compile it for OSX again .

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 15:52 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

btw, just received my new macbook pro 13 inch , Jorito, which C++ compiler do you recommend? I used to use X Code some years ago when I compiled for Mac, is it worth it? or should I just go for TextMate + gnu c++?

Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version