Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Developers
 Brain Games Forums : Developers
Subject Topic: Eggerland remake Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Vampier

Posted: 19áSeptemberá2004 at 18:07 | IP Logged Quote Vampier

As some of you might know I've been working an a javascript version of eggerland. Since javas-script is not a fast language and I ran into some timming problems I want to give it a try and do it in C++ with SDL.

Now I have a few question:

• how should I make the tiles, shall I make these sprites or just objects with an image.
  • what is the easiest way of collision detection? Is it to check all the 'tiles'/'bushes' or are there simpler ways?
  • Lolo is probably going to be a sprite....

Back to Top View Vampier's Profile Search for other posts by Vampier Visit Vampier's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

theNestruo

Posted: 20áSeptemberá2004 at 09:55 | IP Logged Quote theNestruo

Hi!

I suggest you to make an 21x21 array to check the kind of tile (walkable, one way, water...). That makes the 11x11 grid plus the "half tile" positions.

When loading each screen, you fill in that array with the proper values. The things that move/can be moved (green blocks, enemys, etc...) become sprites, and the things that don't move (bricks, water, bridges, etc...) become part of the scenery.

To check collision detection (when moving), you simply check against the first array (the 21x21). Of course, you'll have a double maintenance. By example, each time Lolo moves a green block, the array changes; each time Lolo builds a bridge, the array changes, etc... But that shouldn't slow things too much.

To check sprite collision (fire & player, enemy & player, enemy & shot, and so on...) you'll probably have to check every sprite with every other sprite (that shouldn't be too slow, there are just a few sprites involved).

I used this method in a "sort-of" remake of Rick Dangerous: I had a linked list with all the interactive objects of the game. One pointer goes across the list; for each node, another pointer goes across the list until the end. If there is an overlap, check which kind of sprites (items, enemies, player, etc...) are colliding and resolve the situation. That way, no collision is checked twice.

I can send you source code if you are interested (it's very well documented, as it was "kind-of" homework; but all documentation is in Spanish).

Apologies about my english! I hope that helps! :)

Back to Top View theNestruo's Profile Search for other posts by theNestruo Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21áSeptemberá2004 at 10:07 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

btw the Nextruo, can you post here a link to your "kind-of" remake of Rick Dangerous?
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

theNestruo
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 21áSeptemberá2004 at 17:11 | IP Logged Quote theNestruo

Yes, of course! You can download it from this page (http://www.remakeszone.com/juegos/juego.php?id=31&lng=spanish&seccion=remakes%20jugables). :)

I don't know if they support links from outside, so if the above link doesn't work, go to http://www.remakeszone.com, then click on "Juegos" on the left and finally search "Rick Dangerous" on the list. And don't think I'm an impostor... "NÚstor Sancho" is my real name (please note I'm not KonamiMan; he is NÚstor Soriano). ;)

Anyway, they have included no source files nor PDF documentation, so if anyone is interested in hosting it, I can send you the "full pack" (game + sources + documentation + the original disk label = 500KB).

Don't forget it was my first Windows program (it does some things... the "second best" way), and don't forget all documentation is in spanish (I can translate the source documentation to english if you want it).

Popolon: I'm a registered user now. But the buttons "Image / File Upload" aren't available for me in this board, while they are in the "F-1 Spirit" board.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22áSeptemberá2004 at 14:28 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I've already downloaded your game. I cannot test it now (since I'm inside a conference room with lots of people surrounding me, and it wouldn't look nice if I start a game! ), but I'll give it a run tonight.

About uploading images, the permisions are set for each individual forum. I'll check later if I have something wrong inside this "general talk" forum
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

theNestruo
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 22áSeptemberá2004 at 16:13 | IP Logged Quote theNestruo

Popolon wrote:
I cannot test it now (since I'm inside a conference room with lots of people surrounding me, and it wouldn't look nice if I start a game! ).

Oh, don't worry about that. I shared the game during the "Operating System (practices)" course at the university, so most of my partners were playing the game instead doing the practices (that was unintended, I just wanted two o three friends testing the game). Maybe if you play it at the conference all those people will try to beat your record! ;)

Btw, have a good time in Pisa.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23áSeptemberá2004 at 11:10 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I've already tested it!
It runs perfectly smooth in my computer (maybe too fast compared to the original Rick Dangerous).

Have you planned in develop it further? Rick Dangerous was a superb game! Now that you have the engine, it's an excellent oportunity to improve graphics/sound/animations/etc.

theNestruo
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 23áSeptemberá2004 at 13:49 | IP Logged Quote theNestruo

It runs smooth even in a Pentium 100 (except when scrolling)! WM_TIMER rules!!! (and uses less CPU power) :)

I have no plans to continue development, because there are many, many, many clones of rick dangerous out there; xRick, by example (and it's even ported to my GP32 hand-held console!). And there is also a 3D version with a girl instead of Rick... it's called Tomb Raider or something similar. ;)

Also, that project was finished long time ago (look at the dates), and it was my second Windows program (the first one was "Hello world"!). I once tried to adapt it to make a King's Valley remake, but it needed too much changes and I had too little spare time. And for now, I'm currently occuped with my work (barman) and with my final project (a function library to manage 3D scenes; more or less a generic engine to make games). The "final example" (if one day I reach that milestone in the development) will be a remake (with 3D graphics) of Eggerland Mystery (it's my favourite game, after all)... but now I'm planning to not include it in the project and then make it AFTER the project, so I can freely distribute it and (maybe) show it in the remakes competitions. If I'd include it IN the project, then it would be (legally speaking) a creation of the University (Popolon: correct me if I am wrong).

See you!

[Edited: Vampirer, I have miserably kidnapped your thread. I'm really sorry. :( ]

Edited by theNestruo on 23áSeptemberá2004 at 14:13

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23áSeptemberá2004 at 14:58 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Rick Dangerous... I finished that one. Great game... but yes... there has been so may clones... It's a shame because Santi seems to have the perfect engine for this game.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version