Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Maze of Galious 2
 Brain Games Forums : Maze of Galious 2
Subject Topic: Next steps Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 February 2004 at 21:46 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Hi Vampier, I've sent you your new password by e-mail!

I played some weeks (or months?) ago that game. It's quite funny. I never played the original, but if there's people with interest in a remake of it, I'm your man to code it!!!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Vampier

Posted: 29 February 2004 at 07:27 | IP Logged Quote Vampier

Thanks Santi,

Eggerland is a really cool game which has already been remade a few times. On the NES it was called adventures of Rolo (part 1,2 and 3)

It's a fun game with an editor to develop your own fields...

The game can be frustrating at times, but overal it's great.

for more info:

http://xydirect.com/msx/ShortComents.asp?IdRom=egger

http://xydirect.com/msx/ShortComents.asp?IdRom=egger2

I think Joritto can help you out with the game too if you decide to pick it and make a remake, I'm learning c++(.net) at this moment so I cannot participate activly.. only with javascript ;)

GreeTz

Vampier/Patrick

Edited by JEames on 29 February 2004 at 22:19

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 February 2004 at 22:26 | IP Logged Quote JEames

I've edited you post to make the url links linkable.

Eggerland is one of those really old classics... the problem is that it's hard to improve a one-screen based game without changing the game. It's somewhat like remaking Bounderdash... you can only make better graphics, but the game it's self is hard to make better with out loosing the original "gameplay" or "gamesense".

MP83

Posted: 01 March 2004 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Correction: It's Adventures of Lolo and NOT Rolo.

Originally HAL Laboratory made that serie for MSX, but then moved to NES with a new name - Lolo. For MSX there's 2 games (Eggerland Mystery 1 & 2) and for NES 3 games (Adventures of Lolo 1-3). Nowdays HAL is making other games than Lolo (Has anyone heard about Kirby (pink marshmellow) games?)

By the way, there's a bug in Eggerland Mystery 1 which prevents from completing the game (at the start of the specific level where the head, the one which shoots lightnings, kills you immediately). It may not happen with every versions, but with some ripoff rom or something?

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

dandrea

Posted: 02 March 2004 at 23:32 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

What can the engine handle, of these following ones?

• King's Valley II (i'm sure it can)
  • Salamander
  • R-Type (and all that complex droid launching and getback stuff?)
  • Yiear Kung Fu II
  • ?

Fernando.

Back to Top View dandrea's Profile Search for other posts by dandrea Visit dandrea's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Dominion

Posted: 03 March 2004 at 01:18 | IP Logged Quote Dominion

Hello I´m new here.

If Santi made a remake of Ghosts´n Goblins or Ghouls´n Ghosts may be very cool. GnG is my favourite game after Galious.

Back to Top View Dominion's Profile Search for other posts by Dominion Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 March 2004 at 09:33 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Yes, I've always thought on that. Ghost'n'Goblins is one of my coin op favourites.
The only problem with G'n'G is that the original game has already very cool graphics, sound and music.

But if someone thinks that he can draw better graphics that the original arcade, and/or arrange musics better than the original, I'll tri to code the remake improving the gameplay!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Dominion

Posted: 03 March 2004 at 23:45 | IP Logged Quote Dominion

Popolon wrote:
Yes, I've always thought on that. Ghost'n'Goblins is one of my coin op favourites.
The only problem with G'n'G is that the original game has already very cool graphics, sound and music.

But if someone thinks that he can draw better graphics that the original arcade, and/or arrange musics better than the original, I'll tri to code the remake improving the gameplay!

I can try to do it. I´m a GnG freak, just look my avatar. My only problem is the resolution.

If It can be bigger than MOG1. I draw on paper and then I use my scanner. If the sprites have a little size (32x32 for example) I must resize a lot my drawings until they look like sh*t, you know?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 March 2004 at 11:50 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Yes, I've tried some times to do that process of hand-drawing and scanning, but It has never worked for me. The scanned image is so blurred that I have to completely redraw the image...

But maybe with a good scanner (not the 50€ garbage that I call a scanner) it can work. As with the characters for MoG2, I encourage you to try drawing the main character (just a frame or two) at the resolution you think if can work to see how it will look like!

I'd like to help you in this process by ripping all the graphics from the original G'n'G, but I'm now quite busy!

And... Hey! Domonion eres español! hay pocos por aquí!

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 March 2004 at 13:59 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Another option is to draw over a drawn into squares paper... milimeter size squares. Then scan the image on a good hr scanner and next get in to photoshop or what ever and eliminate all the bluring manually.

In the MSX times I use to use this technique on 0.5cm squares to create sprites... but in stead of using the scanner I used to count squares and code them manually in to the MSX sprite. I remember I got some very good results. Shame that only 15 colors could be used...

Hey... those were good times...

Edited by JEames on 04 March 2004 at 18:57

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 March 2004 at 15:26 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I remember buying square-paper notebooks to draw sprites too, but I used the ones with big squares (half a centimetre squares or so). I drawed crosses of different colours in the squares, and then coded the sprites manually!!

In fact, I still keep those notebooks! I remember now that one of those sprites was for my first attempt to create a MoG-like game! I was about 10 years old, and my coding skills were really low, but I managed to create a small game where you controlled a skeleton that used a whip (like the one in vampire killer), and had 2-3 rooms. There was no enemies however, but you could break some walls to get hidden objects!

If I just could find the tapes where all my old programs were saved!

Vampier

Posted: 04 March 2004 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote Vampier

There must be a great game out there that want's to be remade :) Crossblaim (for MSX) would be a good one I you would ask me...  the game is fairly like metroid but then with a 'transformer like' robot.... which totally gives me another idea :) what about Thexder?

My wishlist form remakes :)

-Zelda 1 or 2 (NES)

-Pinguin adventure (Konami-MSX)

-Metal gear (1) could be running into some legal trouble

Back to Top View Vampier's Profile Search for other posts by Vampier Visit Vampier's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 March 2004 at 09:13 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Never played "Crossblame", but "Thexder"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! One of my non-konami favourites! I've recently downloaded Thexder and Thexder 2 for PC, I think that "Turrican" (the best Amiga game ever) got some inspiration on "Thexder", don't you think?

Has anyone completed Thexder? I just reached level 4 two times, but it was damn hard!! Anyone knows where can I find the maps of thexder? I'd like to have them!

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 March 2004 at 13:08 | IP Logged Quote JEames

I was just thinking that Penguin adventure could be a good and easy remake to test a 3D engine... you don't happen to have a spare 3D engine somewhere Santi?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 March 2004 at 13:45 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Well...

In fact I do have one...
I call it the "Agent World", and it is currently in versino 0.2. But it is not game oriented. I've been developing during some months a 3d engine to visualize the behavior of intelligent agents. The engine is general enough to support games, but is mainly focused on the agents' intelligence.

I've currently used it to demonstrate the behavior of agents in my Ph.D. thesis. But I've also prepared some demos for other people. For instance, I include here some screenshots of a demo I made with this engine of an application that won the second prize of the Telefonica's contest for innovative applications in the internet (telefonica is the main spanish telephone operator):

As you can see, the graphics are not the best you've ever seen. But the goal of my engine is not to show state of the art graphics, but to illustrate the bahavior of the agents.

However, I wanted to make Nether Earth 2 using this engine, since in Nether Earth the individual robots need good intelligence, and this is the perfect engine for that purpose!

After MoG2, this engine will be my priority...

Vampier

Posted: 08 March 2004 at 03:05 | IP Logged Quote Vampier

Hehehehe nice 3d engine Texture mapping/bump mapping and lighting and you should be on your way.

I've looked for a map of thexder... until now no luck tought.

Thexder is just a huge game... I once got till the end... but was killed of really quick.  

PS. Golvelius is cool too

Back to Top View Vampier's Profile Search for other posts by Vampier Visit Vampier's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 08 March 2004 at 09:51 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Crossblaim! I remember that one.  I used to play it all days long.
Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Iamweasel

Posted: 11 March 2004 at 04:26 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

Well, I have to agree with JEames, Penguin Adventure is one of the greatest games ever made to MSX, and one that was not made for any other system (it only exists in MSX, I never knew why Konami didn't continue it in other platforms), this makes it even more interesting as a remake. And another idea would be a remake of KnightMare 1 , since we all like Knightmare. Adriano Cunha from Brazil made a special MSX version of Knightmare that runs in a CD and instead of the usual psg songs, it plays rearranged Knightmare audio musics from CD!! :-) Unfortunately he didn't made it available to download (mainly because copyrights reasons I think, since it was a hack of konami original game, not a remake from scratch). Anyway, You can hear the songs made for this game (and other cool songs as well) by my good friend Parn in this url:

http://www.parn.brturbo.com/

Mauricio.
Back to Top View Iamweasel's Profile Search for other posts by Iamweasel Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 March 2004 at 09:39 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Hey I'd like to download some songs from that web, but I can't!

Iamweasel

Posted: 13 March 2004 at 18:53 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

Well, it is really strange... Anyway, I have some of the songs here (among them, all of the knightmare CD), so, if you want it, I can e-mail to you.

Mauricio.
Back to Top View Iamweasel's Profile Search for other posts by Iamweasel Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version