Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Maze of Galious 2
 Brain Games Forums : Maze of Galious 2
Subject Topic: Next steps Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 February 2004 at 19:19 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

While coding the demo of the engine, some thoughts of the next steps towards MoG2 have arised on my mind...

I'd like MoG2 to be n impresive and well done game, and therefore I wouldn't like to start making it without mastering all the possibilities that the new engine offers. Therefore, I wanted to make another game with the engine before starting MoG2. Just to test its functionalities, and only after that, start the work in MoG2. So, my question is:

Has anyone some ideas for a platform game that we can develop before MoG2?

Some one talked about Treasure of Usas some months ago. But what about some other game that doesn't require that amount of graphic work? What about some of this two:
- goonies (You know that I love this game)

- The castle

- Or even this classic: DonKey Kong

Of course, a recreation of the original MoG remake with the new engine will also precede MoG2. But I just want to make a simple game with the engine before starting a BIG project.

any ideas?
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Lars The 18Th

Posted: 12 February 2004 at 23:13 | IP Logged Quote Lars The 18Th

Some more game ideas to test the engine with,

- Goonies ...  offcourse
- Yi Ar Kung-Fu II ( nice way to test the colition detection ? )
- Choro Q http://www.generation-msx.nl/index.php?url=/msxdb/softwareinfo&software_id=556
   and a nice challenge for jorrito to remake the happy soundtrack  

- Tawara http://xydirect.com/msx/ShortComents.asp?IdRom=tawara

Edited by Lars The 18Th on 12 February 2004 at 23:23
Back to Top View Lars The 18Th's Profile Search for other posts by Lars The 18Th Visit Lars The 18Th's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 February 2004 at 01:10 | IP Logged Quote JEames

What about some kind of "extended version" of Buble buble?

http://xydirect.com/msx/ShortComents.asp?IdRom=bubble

Bubble Bobble
Bubble Bobble
1987 Zemina

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 February 2004 at 11:24 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I also thougth of buble booble, but the huge amount of screens, and the fact that there is actually an improved version of it (bubble memories) stoped me...

Yiear kungfu is a nice option!!

any more suggestions?
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 13 February 2004 at 12:22 | IP Logged Quote MP83

• Pitfall (uses random levels)
  • Pitfall 2
  • Lazy Jones
  • Konami's Monkey Academy
  • Chess (Hey! It is A PLATFORM game, eh? )
  • King's Valley 1
  • Manic Miner
  • Jet Set Willy
  • Bomb Jack

There's all I can think of right now.

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 February 2004 at 22:10 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

I'd go with the king's valley idea :)
Otherwise indeed Treasure of Usas or another alltime favorite (and very simple to make): Magical Tree!
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 February 2004 at 19:32 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I'm without connection!! Till tuesday I'm not going to be able to enter here... see you

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 February 2004 at 20:24 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Magical Tree is a good idea too... simple game and simple graphics. Same aplies to King's Valley.

Jet set Willy and similar games I think would'nt take advantage not even a 10% of all engine features.

Monkey Academy is an option, but... it's a baby's game!

I think we should have to focus on easy & fast production games. Bouble Bouble could be a good option beacuse we really don't have to stick to the original... there has been several remakes and improvements, so doing something similar or better might be easy.

Some other games I think could be easy & fast to produce:

Ninja Kun
Ninja
Pippols
Wonder Boy
Inspecteur Z
Donkey Kong (too easy may be?)

And what about Lemmings ? -Would that be to much to handle?

MP83

Posted: 15 February 2004 at 04:02 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Magical tree! That's a great idea!!  It wouldn't be hard to remake, because Santi already has a code for lightning clouds (MoG), so it would be a one work less.  I also believe it's a game which will really test the possibilities of the MoG2 Engine.

So my primary vote goes for Magical Tree. Second vote for King's Valley. And I would like to make the graphics (for MT or KV), if that's alright with Santi.

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 February 2004 at 22:24 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Depending on the game picked, and mostly depending on my free time, I might be able to do some music/sfx assistance
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 February 2004 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Well, nothing more has to be said. All of your choices have a common denominator: Magical Tree.

I'll try to start it this weekend! New project starts!!!! Let's test how the new engine works!

cheers

McBain

Posted: 17 February 2004 at 12:19 | IP Logged Quote McBain

Popolon, can I make the graphics for it? :) I want your answer soon enough, so I could freely start making some progress with the title screen. I got some nice ideas for it, which I'll show to you with a program made by the Games Factory. It's nothing special, but maybe something you haven't prepared for your engine? We'll see. :)

By the way, why can't I login in anymore? In forum's words, I don't have an proper access here anymore or my cookies aren't enabled. I checked my cookies settings, but there's nothing out of ordinary. It may be something that my brother has installed to his computer (I currently use the net at his place), but you'll never know. ;)

Everything is working for you guys?

Back to Top View McBain's Profile Search for other posts by McBain Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 February 2004 at 15:12 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Of course, the graphics are yours! I'll be expecting that tittle screen from you!

Just one thing: I don't have joystick, so I cannot test whether joystick code works or not (therefore, there is no joystick support in my games). This means that the 4 options in the tittle screen should be changed a bit... i.e. removing the joystick options... I'm sorry about that...

and btw, I do not have any problem to log in...

ant Jason: Lemmings will be a PERFECT test for the engine! I think that I'll try to implement something like lemmings after Magical tree...

Edited by Popolon on 17 February 2004 at 15:13

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 February 2004 at 15:42 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Well... I now there are many lemmings fans in the world... but it's a completelly diffrent type of game, so I wasn't sure your engine could handle it. What made me think in lemmings was all that scripting language you had implemented. New kind of lemmings that do other strange things could be programmed...

The only problem is that it sound complicated from my point of view, but then again if someone is capable of programming lemmings under MSX Basic (Lemmings) ...well, may be it's not that complicated! -BTW: I also had in mind the next retro-remakes compo. Lemmings could have a very good chance to win.

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 February 2004 at 15:46 | IP Logged Quote JEames

BTW: no problems to login. The web-fourms do require cookies enabled... maybe you have a framed window installed on your explorer that makes your security settings disable cookies.

McBain

Posted: 17 February 2004 at 16:45 | IP Logged Quote McBain

I'll start making the title screen program as soon as I get home.  I'm at my brothers house until tomorrow, so I'll propably start on Thursday.

About the Magical Tree remake's title screen: It doesn't have to be the same as on the MSX, because we're making a remake based on the original MSX-version and not a slavely conversion for PC just with updated graphics & musics.  In other words, you can freely forget this joystick support, because the game will be 100% playable without that anyway.  Also a support for 2 players can be added.

"Let's see who can climb higher and faster!"

Back to Top View McBain's Profile Search for other posts by McBain Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 February 2004 at 22:36 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Since the engine test will be Magical Tree (me: yippie!) I'm quite sure a remake of the Magical Tree is a good thing to have Fortunately the game music is very easy (I can play it on keyboards even if I'm a lousy player), so that should be fine. But... since I'm quite busy I don't read the forums that often. So I'd appreciate it if a useable version could be mailed, or some (temp.) gfx mailed, to get the mood of the music right without spending all my time on the forums here like I did with RF!

On a sidenote: Bombaman has been finished, we're already working on a new game

McBain

Posted: 18 February 2004 at 02:14 | IP Logged Quote McBain

Jorito, I didn't knew you were so into making the music for games.  It's a good thing that you are really putting your best on your works. Keep up the good work.

And I believe it won't be a problem to send you frequently by e-mail the current stuff we'll get when creating this remake.  Also this remake is not a contribution for any competitions, so even not the annoying deadline is bothering us.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 February 2004 at 12:59 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Exactly, as McBain says, we don't have deadlines this time. I'll send you a preview version by e-mail as soon as I have it so taht you can test your music there.

btw, can you give any clues on what's the next game? or is it going to be a secret project?

Posted: 28 February 2004 at 20:34 | IP Logged Quote Guest

Why not do a remake of Eggerland?

I've been doing some fooling arround in javascript and came up with this :) http://www.vampier.net/blog/photos/eggerland/

GreeTz

Vampier (I lost my password)

Back to Top View Guest's Profile Search for other posts by Guest Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version