Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Maze of Galious 2
 Brain Games Forums : Maze of Galious 2
Subject Topic: chatting in MoG... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01áSeptemberá2003 at 17:56 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Some months ago Jason came to my lab and we were talking about how to make a networked MoG. One of the features that we talked about is how to communicate between players, i.e. how to chat.

Having that on mind, I've implemented a new kind of objects in the engine: TEXT_OBJECT. The text objects are very generic, and can be drawn using any system font (Arial, etc.) and point size, in any color, and with several appearance options. The text objects can be surrounded by a frame, and I've implemented a special type of frame called a BALLOON, that I think that matches perfectly with the requirements to display the "chat messages" between players.

Just take a look at this picture to see how Popolon greets Aphrodite:

The text objects also have an ACTION SCRIPT, so that they can perform any action, such as: moving, changing the text they are displaying, changing their attributes (font, size, color, etc.)

I don't know what do you think, but I think that using this balloons is a nice and original way to chat in the networked version of the game! Each player can define a self-style (color, font, size, etc.) for his player's baloons.

But the text objects have many more uses than only allowing the characters to chat...
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 00:26 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Hey.. it looks great!

But what happens when you are talking with someone that's away from your sight? -A new view opens on the side or on one corner of the screen so that you can read what they say to you? ...or may be a "cloudy" balloon comming from the corner on which direction is the other character? -And what if there's 3 o 5 more popolons all chating arround in different worlds?

MP83

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 11:07 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Aren't those text bubbles disturbing the other player by messing another player's view? Anyway, chat feature is a must!  Good idea.
Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 11:08 | IP Logged Quote MP83

To avoid any bugs referring to text bubbles, why not using only ony decicated font? Oldie like?
Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 11:38 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Actually, to use this bubbles you can only talk with players that are on your sight. But there can be also "cloudy-bubbles" as you say to talk to players not inside the same room. If you have ever playeed a MUD, there are always 3 modes to chat:
1 - TELL: talk directly to other player
2 - TALK: message to everybody in the same room
3 - SHOUT: message to everybody in the game

Usually SHOUT is restricted and if you SHOUT 3 or 4 times in a row, your player gets "afonic", and you cannot SHOUT for a while.

The bubble system can be used for the TALK. And the cloudy bubbles for the SHOUT. I think that the TELL mode is not needed, since two players that want to talk alone can go to a separate room to talk.

About the bubbles messing the other player's viewport: OF COURSE! The bubble have to be drawn in all the viewports. If not, the other players will not be able to read what the rest are saying.
The screenshot that I've shown is in a two player mode in a single computer (where chatting is nonsense), and the bubble is shown twice. But in a network game, each player will only have a single viewport, so the bubble will only be displayed once.

And about using a dedicated font. I don't get the point. What kind of bugs are you referring to?
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 11:54 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Hey... I like the Talk & Shout stuff... you could add different rules and / or objects to be able to comunicate and add a "Broadcast" feature to be able to send messages to other worlds and stuff like that... or even you could get a radio emiter & camera so that a viewport opens on each other player and everyone sees what he is doing. This could permit doing coordinated actions in different parts of the scenario. Something like having to jump on a stone at the same time to open a secret door or getting a hidden treasure,...

Wow... there's a world of possibilities out there...

MP83

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 12:26 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Popolon, I think that when you let the player to use any fonts with different attributes they like, there might be a larger change to mess up the game somehow... Do you remember what the Road Fighter Remake did when you tried to use that one specific font (game crashed)? Can't this happen with the MoG2 also (like crashing both of players game)?? To put this simple: When adding lots of possibilities for the player to use in the game, you also add more change of having bugs.  Well, That's only my opinion and I'm not a professional programmer like you are.

JEames, the idea of having the radio emiter & camera in the game is great. Wouldn't it be great too if you would need a specific item before being able to use that feature? This could add one more puzzle to be solved in the game...or something? 

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 13:36 | IP Logged Quote JEames

That's exactly what I had in mind: a radio emitter (or a wifi compilant access point) and a camera (or webcam) that you have to find somewhere in the game.

In fact, at the server-based part of the game we could create a webpage that includes a "on-air" camera so that the web visitors can view over the net a live view of the game... that would be espectacular.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 15:23 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I like thos eideas, but instead of being a radio and a webcam, why not some more-mythological objects... a marine-shell as the radio, and a magic-mirror as the webcam or something like that...

However, I still have one doubt: when you use the webcam/mirror or whatever. Should ALL the players see what are you doing? Or should you select to which player to send your images?

About the on-air camera to see what everyplayer is doing in the server. It's already possible to do in the current state of the engine!! And it is a really good idea! But the server could provide much more information, what about this:
The screen splitted in two parts:
- On the left, the list of players currently connected
- On the right, a miniature of the map showing the position of all the players. If you select one player, you inmediately zoom-in and see what is he doing. As there are can be many maps (one per world, etc.), you can also have an overview of the game, with a mini-mini-miniature of all the maps showing how many players are currently on each map.

As Jason says: There's a qorld os possibilities!!

About the potential bug with the fonts... I see what you mean... Well, at least the color, etc. will be customizable. Here's another screenshot, with a different font size and different frame-width:

MP83

Posted: 03áSeptemberá2003 at 10:56 | IP Logged Quote MP83

I like that bubble found from the last picture.  But it would be perfect in my opinion if the bubble wouldn't have too much space on the edges.

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 00:58 | IP Logged Quote JEames

I think we are going to need someone to make up a good storyline for MOG2. Now: where can we find good creative storyline writer like J.K. Rowling? -On the net, forums are allways full of computer-tech guys... I don't think we can find someone on internet. I'm going to have to ask arround and see if I can find something.

MP83

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 09:09 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Good storyline is hard to get, especially from the internet. I don't know anyone who could write a good one. There's only computer experts in Finland...well, at least it feels like it. 

I thought MoG2 already has a storyline.  Do you need a whole new storyline or can it be borrowed from other games storylines?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 11:08 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Well, the MoG2-story forum was created for that purpose, and there are already some good ideas there. But they need to be all put together and create a solid story-line...

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 11:12 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Hey! there's a password on that forum and I can't access it! -It's funny because I'm supposed to have administrative rights over this server...

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 12:04 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

The password is... he,he, good trial!
I've send it to you by e-mail

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 12:14 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Oh, well... I have a hell of a lot of reading to do. I've sent a mail to a friend of mine that is a book writer (not a known one ) ...he might be intrested and/or now someone that is. You never now...

BTW: why do you want to restrict access to that forum? -In case there's too much people bugging arround?

MP83

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 13:56 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Well, Popolon didn't want to say the password, but the password is "santithealmighty". Just joking.

By the way, may I have the password to that forum? Maybe I can help in some way, you'll never know? I'll tried to ask this by PM, but your inbox was full. You should delete some of the messages.

Cheers.

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote JEames

I've just setup the PM messages limit to 999 instead of the 25 there was before so you can send him as many PMs as you want... BTW: this reminds me that there's some colors on the PM interface that have to be fixed. I'll do that tonight...

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 16:02 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I just decided to restrict the access to the forum to keep a little bit more secretism about MoG2... But of course, I'll send that password to you too McBain. All the people that want to contribute in the game should have access to that forum.

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04áSeptemberá2003 at 16:11 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Actually, you're right: Konami people could come arround here and read throgh these forums and might even use this against us if it is prooven that there's too many references to the original game... complicated stuff really.

May be it could be a good idea to analyze the logs and trace back all traffic and see if there's anything comming from Konami's HQ. I'm sure they must now this site exists... it's listed number one on Google if you search for "Maze of Galious" or even number 3 with "Road Fighter" so they can easy pinpoint us really.

inetnum:    211.132.7.224 - 211.132.7.255
netname:   WWW-KONAMI
descr:       KONAMI CORPORATION

That's another thing I'll do when I get home.

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version