Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Developers
 Brain Games Forums : Developers
Subject Topic: My desire is to learn to code games Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MP83

Posted: 18 August 2003 at 12:50 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Hi guys,

Topic says it all. I'm intrested to learn to code some games, but before that I should learn some basics of coding. Could anyone help me to get in start. To be more accurate, I don't actually know anything about programming, so some info about programming languages would also help. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 August 2003 at 13:43 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

If your desire is to code games at a comercial-level, definitely you have to learn C++. But if you only want to make remake-kind of games, maybe you should look for something like DARKBASIC or DIV.

However, learning to code a game in C++ is a long road. You should first learn to code in C++, and after that enter in the hardware part: graphics, sound, timming, etc.

If you want, I can create a small tutorial of C / C++ to get started. But you will need a C compiler: GNU GCC, Borland or Visual C++ will do.

Just tell me.
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Iamweasel

Posted: 19 August 2003 at 02:40 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

Hi,

It's my first message, so I would like to say first: Great work, guys! I loved both MOG and Road Fighter.  That said, let's go back to the topic. Well, game programming isn't easy, but it isn't that hard either. I'll explain that. The most important thing is to build some support classes that will do most of the heavy work (detecting collision, painting graphics, scroll, network,etc). There are some books that will explain the right way to do that to you. I recommend 3 books, which should be read in that order (I believe it's the best:)

Teach Yourself Internet Game programming with Java in 21 days

Black art of Java Game programming.

Cutting Edge Java Game programming.

In that order, you will learn to code simple games, like Frogger, Asteroids, and so on. I have all three books here in PDF/HTML format, so I can send it to you, if you want. I have some Java e-books too, so you can learn it, although the first two books teach java, if i'm not mistaken. The most important thing is to learn about the support classes, as I said before. But you might say: "All, but these are Java books. Java is slow!". I agree, but once you learn how to program using OO (Object Oriented), porting your code to C++ or Delphi is really easy, believe me. The most important thing is the knowledge you obtain from them. I'm writing a remake game of Nemesis myself using what I learnt from these books (to be honest I just read part of all 3, so that shows you don't need to read them all, if you don't want.  ) I'm writing my engine based on what I discover when doing the game, that's why I tell you the engine is the most important (and difficult) thing to do. Once you write a good one, you can make many games quick and easier. Last thing, this is for Popolon: It is great that you want to write a tutorial of C++, but there are many good ones in the net. Maybe it would be better explain some game concepts, like a good way to write the map used in Mog, the AI of the enemys, or even the concept of your engine. This knowledge is more important and it's harder to find, there are few books that will teach that ( I would be interested in that too.  ). Well, that's enough for now, I Believe.

Mauricio.
Back to Top View Iamweasel's Profile Search for other posts by Iamweasel Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2003 at 03:31 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Well... Santi (Popolon) has allways done it "the hard way". So don't  expect him to look for a tutorial on the net: it's allways better to make it him self!!!

Welcome Iamweasel it's great to now you are working on a Nemesis remake. Nemesis is one of my favorite games on MSX. For when a beta? ...or some screen shots?

Edited by JEames on 21 August 2003 at 03:32

dandrea

Posted: 21 August 2003 at 05:18 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

Iamweasel wrote:

Another brazillian to the party. :)

Back to Top View dandrea's Profile Search for other posts by dandrea Visit dandrea's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 21 August 2003 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote MP83

GNU GCC, Borland or Visual C++? I don't have any of those.  When you've returned from your travel, I would like to have some C compiler so I can start practicing.  Thank you guys for helping me.

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Lars The 18Th

Posted: 21 August 2003 at 11:28 | IP Logged Quote Lars The 18Th

I Have Borland C for you McBain
http://members.home.nl/go.surfen/TurboC30.zip
Enjoy ;)
Back to Top View Lars The 18Th's Profile Search for other posts by Lars The 18Th Visit Lars The 18Th's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2003 at 12:36 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Oh!!! the old Trubo C. That was a real good programing language... they spoiled the "C" language when they added the "++" with all that sh*t about classes, objects and inheritalbe properties. I really think they made all this stuff to make "C" such a complicated language that simple mindend people like my self were forced to go on to systems engeniring.

BTW: check out this link. Could be usefull if you want to get in to C++

http://www.mo.himolde.no/~oleo/c++21/

MP83

Posted: 21 August 2003 at 12:39 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Thanks you Lars. :) And thanks for the link, JEames. :)

MP83

Posted: 21 August 2003 at 12:40 | IP Logged Quote MP83

What!? Why can't I always edit my last posts and sometimes I can? Why's that? Something to do with computer settings?

Iamweasel

Posted: 22 August 2003 at 00:46 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

> Well... Santi (Popolon) has allways done it "the hard way". So don't > expect him to look for a tutorial on the net: it's allways better to   make it him self!!!

Well, I meant McBain could get an e-book about C++ in the net (I have many e-books here, just in case he or anyone here wants). I thought maybe Santi could help him (In fact, all of us game developers :-) ) by writing a tutorial with some tips about writing a good game framework.     

Welcome Iamweasel it's great to now you are working on a Nemesis remake. Nemesis is one of my favorite games on MSX. For when a beta? ...or some screen shots?

Thanks JEames. Well, as soon as first stage is fully working, i can send a beta to you guys. When it will be done? Hmmm, hard to say. I'm trying to get into Master of Science program (I don't know how to say that in english, sorry) in computer science here in Brazil, and I'm busy studying, publishing papers and other stuff now. But I hope to be able to release a beta before the end of the year. I know it is too much time, but I can't speed up things now, sorry. I can post screen shots, but all you will see is a MSX Nemesis with (many) things missing. You see, I'm not as gifted as McBain,Dandrea and Jorito, All I do is programming, so I ripped MSX Graphics and Sound and used it in my game. When the code is complete, I would be happy if any of you could help me doing the graphics/sound. My Idea is to reproduce Nemesis 1 game, and then we could improve it (I would like to hear suggestions from you guys). The code was written in Java because I needed to improve my skills in order to take Sun's certification exam, but that's not a big deal. Since it is an OO design, I can translate it to Delphi or C++ fast, to get speed. But it runs quite well in my 1.7 Ghz PIV.

Mauricio.
Back to Top View Iamweasel's Profile Search for other posts by Iamweasel Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 22 August 2003 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Hi Weasel,

I would be happy to help you with the graphics and with beta-testing or anything else. Just ask.  But I want to see some proof that you'll finish your remake, before doing anything big, but some little graphic work like making a nice title logo can be done. Just don't ask doing any sprite graphics, because I'm not specialized in that [yet].  I even made the Road Fighter cars by accident...it's bad it didn't happen with the truck graphics too.  I'm currently updating the graphics, so sometime in the future the truck car will look better.

Cheers.

Iamweasel

Posted: 25 August 2003 at 14:50 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

[QUOTE=McBain]

Hi Weasel,

> I would be happy to help you with the graphics and with beta-testing or anything else.     > Just ask.  But I want to see some proof  that you'll finish your remake, before doing       > anything big, but some  little graphic work like making a nice title logo can be done.

Thanks McBain. Your help is highly welcome. Don't worry about graphics right now, as I said in my previous message, only when the game is complete I'll need help with graphics and sounds. I'm using in the development the original msx graphics and sound (since it is a remake, I want to use the original material too), and they are all that i need while developing the game. Well, I'll keep you guys updated about the development of the game.

Mauricio.

MP83

Posted: 26 August 2003 at 11:03 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Iamweasel wrote:
Thanks McBain. Your help is highly welcome. Don't worry about graphics right now, as I said in my previous message, only when the game is complete I'll need help with graphics and sounds. I'm using in the development the original msx graphics and sound (since it is a remake, I want to use the original material too), and they are all that i need while developing the game. Well, I'll keep you guys updated about the development of the game.

I'm looking forward it.  Keep up the good work.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 August 2003 at 13:56 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Wellcome "Iamweasel" (I see that you are a Cartoon Network fan ).

It's great that you are working in that Nemesis Remake, I would like to see the results also!! If you have browsed the forums a little bit, may be you have seen that we have talkied about a Salamander remake here for somewhere in the near future... may be we can then share some knowledge!

About teaching C++/Java etc. You are right, the most important thing to teach are the game-related concepts rather than the more language specific ones for which there are LOTs of good tutorials and books out there. I really would like to do such a tutorials... maybe McBain can force me to do them , well, just learn the basics of any language: Java, C++, Delphi or whatever (C++ is definitely what I would recomment you). And then we can start with the "Game programming lessons"!

About that compilers you have mentioned here Turbo C 3.0, and the rest. I feel very nostalgic about using them! All of us learned to code C with "Turbo C 2.0"!! I feel as nostalgic that I've configured the font and color scheme of Visual C++ to match the colors of "Borland C++ 3.1"! You know, blue background, green and yellow text, etc.
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 28 August 2003 at 09:20 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Don't worry Popolon, I will force you to do them someday.  But first I look into compilers and see which one works me the best. For languages, I think the C++ will work the best.

Iamweasel

Posted: 28 August 2003 at 15:05 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

Popolon wrote:

Welcome "Iamweasel" (I see that you are a Cartoon Network fan  ).

Yes, I am.

It's great that you are working in that Nemesis Remake, I would like  to see the results also!! If you have browsed the forums a little bit,  may be you have seen that we have talkied about a Salamander   

doesn't have a difficult AI code, and since I'm writing the frameworks classes (this is my first game), I thought it would be easier to start w

Yes, I saw your comments about Salamander. I chose Nemesis because :

1) I love this game.

2) The enemies ith a simple one.

About the results, sure I'll send you guys the first working beta. The game already works, but I need to finish the first stage map, and write the enemy behavior code. The code is a little messy, I'll improve the support classes and then I'll rewrite the code to the final version.  

remake here for somewhere in the near future... may be we can      then share some knowledge!

It would be nice to share ideas with you about OO game design, algorithms, etc. We can then improve our code by sharing some ideas. And I'm sure there's lot I can learn from your experience coding games.

About teaching C++/Java etc. You are right, the most important     thing to teach are the game-related concepts rather than the more  language specific ones for which there are LOTs of good tutorials    and books out there. I really would like to do such a tutorials...       maybe McBain can force me to do them , well, just learn the       basics of any language: Java, C++, Delphi or whatever (C++ is       definitely what I would recomment you). And then we can start      with the "Game programming lessons"!

You're right. C++ is great, but I would like to say that most important then any language is the OO design. Once you finish your OO classes, you can translate your code to C++, C#,Object Pascal (Delphi), Java, since all of them are OO languages.

About that compilers you have mentioned here Turbo C 3.0, and the  rest. I feel very nostalgic about using them! All of us learned to      code C with "Turbo C 2.0"!! I feel as nostalgic that I've configured   the font and color scheme of Visual C++ to match the colors of      "Borland C++ 3.1"! You know, blue background, green and yellow text, etc.

I love Borland compilers. I used Turbo C 2.0 and Turbo Pascal 7, besides Delphi. Borland compilers rulez.

Mauricio.

sabeen

Posted: 30 March 2004 at 11:33 | IP Logged Quote sabeen

i need help in comuter graphics can any body help me
Back to Top View sabeen's Profile Search for other posts by sabeen Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 March 2004 at 12:31 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

What kind of help do you need?

Gaze

Posted: 30 March 2004 at 15:23 | IP Logged Quote Gaze

@ MP83

I reccomend VC. Delphi is also a good language to do that kind of stuff, but believe me when i tell you should learn VC. i'm facing the same problem here, i use delphi all the time and now i have to re-learn C because i also want to take part of the braingame-remakes

VC or C would be the best choice.

Back to Top View Gaze's Profile Search for other posts by Gaze Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version