Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: BUG LIST Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 November 2002 at 11:28 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

In this post I will try to keep the list of actual BUGs, so people can easyly see if I know one bug or not, so please do not reply to this message!!

Current bugs are: (the ones marked with * mean that I've already a fix for them but I still haven't put it in the downloadable version)

- If popolon was on the last stand on the elevator and a half of his body touches the roofs of other rooms during the way up popolon will not fall.
- Popolon is still get hit when he pass through doors and that should not.
- Castle worms and some rooms bats should reappear if just pass to the adjacent room and return to it.
- BATs fly away from the screen when the stop in the lowest roof.
- Mines don't explode properly.
- Popolon appears in bad position when you die in the water room of the world 2
- You can not shoot a sun missile from the top af an armour
- If you hit a skeleton when jumping, they don't behave well
- some other minor bugs

Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

[DK]

Posted: 31 March 2008 at 14:43 | IP Logged Quote [DK]

Hi guys,

Let me add this to this list:

- Popolon's horizontal speed do not seem to be fast enough to me. I'm afraid it should be like this if it has been correctly measured, tho :)
- Pololon sometimes gets stuck on a side of a wall when jumping from a lift.
- Popolon will fall through a lift if jumping down diagonally onto it.
- White arrows should go through spiders in World 1. Actually, these arrows should go through any _enemy_ in any case, not necessarily killing them. Unless I'm wrong, but I do not remember any exception to this yet.
- Skeletons' sounds effect when being hit and totally down are standard, like when hitting a rock. However, this sound triggers when all their bones, including the skull, are touching the ground and not before. At the moment, there is only a crunch sound ongoing all the way to death (if they are actually alive).
- Enemies spawn items more often in the original game. I'd say if the rate of spawning items in the original game is of a 100%, the rate in the remake is about 50%.
- Popolon cannot jump over the skeleton on the right of the 5th world entrance since that passage is at the very top of the screen. And I remember this from heart only.
- With the same assertiveness I'd say that knights below world 3 cannot jump from the left to the little platform on the upper left part of this screen.
- I think Popolon's jumps are much easier to control in the remake than in the original game. Try jumping from a platform like this:

-|
-|

From the one below to the one above. Bounce against the wall on the side to do this. Try both the MSX versions and the PC one.
- It would be nice if Popolon could go up ladders more easily, if the code recognised Popolon being close to a ladder so that he went up rather than jumping.

With these bugs fixed, I imagine this being a sensational remake, probably one of the best I have ever player. But only if you fix 'em ;)

I bow at the new graphics and songs, especially Wolf's audio sets and Naramura's impressive graphical recreation of MoG. The backgrounds and the monsters (wow, that dinosaur!) are amazing.

Cheers dudes!

Back to Top View [DK]'s Profile Search for other posts by [DK] Visit [DK]'s Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 March 2008 at 15:36 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Wow!! long list

Since there is a recent interest in MoG, I'll try to find some time to go over them (after I fix the SDL_sound issue).
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 March 2008 at 20:45 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

That's a nice list of bugs. I think BifiMSX has some others, and I could ask him to post these here as well, if you want.

[DK]: for a more complete version of my sound set (including lots of sfx and demon musics), download this file and place the contents inside the sound/jorito dir. Maybe I can get you to like my sound set better .
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

[DK]

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 14:22 | IP Logged Quote [DK]

Actually your song of the world is awesome. I didn't have time to check the others tho...
Back to Top View [DK]'s Profile Search for other posts by [DK] Visit [DK]'s Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

[DK]

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 14:58 | IP Logged Quote [DK]

More stuff:

- I did not check this on purpose and I don't remember well but I think that Popolon and Aphrodite have a limited number of shots per arrow in the screen. Eg., Popolon can throw 3 white arrows and Aphrodite 2, but it is the other way around when we talk about the brown arrows... These numbers will probably be wrong, but I just say it here so that it can be measured correctly in the remake as well.

- Hedgedogs' spikes, I think, can be stopped by using any shield (I think, or did the bronze one not work?)... Anyway, something that I know for sure (finally) is that after that arse-move they stop inert for a short while (matter of two seconds or so), so that the player can hit them easily in that position. Now they don't stop in the remake, it's a trap, they leant!

- Third world's monster can be also hit via the rolling fire.

- When a monster does not suffer damage, a shrill metallic sound is played to indicate this. I think it's the same one as when you hit an armour in the castle.

- If Aphrodite is dead, then she shows no ocher health in her bar. And I though she was alive after getting my pass :P

- At least after Wolf's castle loop, they song starts again with a very small amount of silence in between the loop. This should not happen.

Now I'm in the third world, suffering since I have no Aphrodite, not many items spawn around to pay Mr Death and that damn dragon don't mind my rolling fire. Ah, what a life this one!

Greetings ;)

[DK]

[DK]

Posted: 18 April 2008 at 09:56 | IP Logged Quote [DK]

I had a chat with Jorito yesterday and we agreed on the third Dragon monster having no collision :P

I got there twice and it does not seem to care neither the rolling fire nor the sword. If this is true, then this is a game stopper issue : /

*Edit: It kills you so it has collision, but it seems not to care about getting hit.

Edited by [DK] on 18 April 2008 at 09:59

FrankaFan

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 16:06 | IP Logged Quote FrankaFan

Hi everyone,

A few days a go I found this cool remake of Maze Of Galious.
Having played te original version like a million times, I was very curious about this remake.

First of all my compliments for the graphics. I think they are very well done.

After playing a while, I discovered some differences between this version and the original:

- destroyed rocks come back to soon.
in the original version, destroyed rocks only came back when you came back in the castle after entering a world.
In this remake it happens when you move just far enough from a room and then go back to it.

- Items behind rocks are returning(!)
In the original game, once you've got an item from a rock, like for example coins or keys, they never returned. After returning from a world the rock always returned, but never the items behind it.

- Number of arrows you can buy in a shrine not correct.
Entering the shrine of Ares (at the bottom of the castle, with water-monster) you can buy a quiver of arrows, bronze shield and magnifying glass.
In the original game you get 100 arrows for 20 coins. In this remake the number of arrows is lower.

- Enemies that should respawn are not respawning.
I remember a trick I used to perform to gain fast money, arrows and experience. I went to rooms with bouncing yellow balls. Killing 2 yellow balls, the second one gave you 7 coins, 20 arrows or one key. After that I left the room, only to turn around and re-enter the room.
The yellow balls were back so I could destroy the again and collect the items. This was always an easy and legal way to gain items fast.

To quote [DK]:
"- White arrows should go through spiders in World 1. Actually, these arrows should go through any _enemy_ in any case, not necessarily killing them. Unless I'm wrong, but I do not remember any exception to this yet."
The problem here in this world is that even the bronze arrows go through the spiders. In the original game the bronze arrow should dissapear after killing the spider. This doesn't happen in the remake.

I only played for about 2 hours (clearing 2 worlds) and these are the differences with the original game I discovered so far.

P.S. I still play the original game using BlueMSX as emulator and a ROM-file

Edited by FrankaFan on 23 August 2010 at 16:09
Back to Top View FrankaFan's Profile Search for other posts by FrankaFan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 16:46 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Hi FrankaFan,

Thanks for your comments!

Nice list of differences. I never figured out the rules that MoG used for all of those things (rock reapperance, etc.), so I made up my own rules, hoping them to be close to the original. But apparently, I got lots of them wrong

I've a pretty big list of things now to fix in MoG, that I've accumulated over all these years. But fixing the current code base is like a knightmare, since the code is awful. I think that one of these days I should sit down and recode everything from scratch

FrankaFan

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 09:22 | IP Logged Quote FrankaFan

Hello Popolon,

Even I had to figure out some things using the internet.
At the time I played the original game on the MSX, there were always 2 or 3 items I couldn't find.
Years later I started playing the game again on a pc, using BlueMSX-emulator and a ROM file (can you imagine, at that time a cardridge was a 'big' game and now it is a ROM-file of 128K).
At that time I searched the internet for maps and walkthroughs and found the solutions for missing items.

Here is a site with a few tips & tricks for playing the game: http://www.strafefox.nl/warpzone/mog.htm

If you want to know more about the game, I suggest to download BlueMSX-emulator. If you would like I can send you the ROM-file.

Edited by FrankaFan on 24 August 2010 at 09:55
Back to Top View FrankaFan's Profile Search for other posts by FrankaFan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version